Wednesday, June 1, 2011

#3

This one is from the very first summer I moved to St. John's, in 2008. I had a lot on my mind. It is entitled "cataclysm", most appropriately. I've never had a stranger time.

-

shouting hello from the opaline rooftops
of this firefly city,
cradling my epic collection
of concerns.

seated here between flesh-colored,
breathing walls,
filling invisible cages
with hazy thoughts
drawn by children in chalk.
they resemble missing string
cat's cradle patterns.

there's a girl wearing
judas tree flowers
in a serpentine coil around
her shell-like form.
she is unraveling slowly through
a labyrinth of broken windows
(you say
i bore this maze)

not a hair touches the
fractured panes, her
cold flesh strays from
broken glass

she wants the knowledge
at the end, she wants
the quiescent bones
fashioned into a harp
that will sing to her
in veracious tones

desires the bitter taste
of dust, to wake up at the depths
of the ocean, all things
azure

(a glass of water
at the foot of your bed)

crawling through the fibers of time
as they loosen,

she knows how all this will
deconstruct, whose hands
will tear out the first
shred

but she has only
shown me
snapshots.

-

Now, friends. Its time for prompt #2! For me this week, I want you to write a poem about summertime. Yes, the oldest subject in the great book of stomped on poetic subjects, but how can it not inspire? Everytime I see the morning light shining green through the leaves my heart beats a little bit faster.

Send me your writings, so that they may be put up! This week's featured poet will be Robert Frost, as recommended by my friend Daniel (his favorite), so that will be up soon, I promise!  If you have any Frost poems you'd like to see along with the feature, you're also free to email them to me. Again, my email address is:

growupandblowaway@gmail.com

I hope to hear from you guys soon <3




SJ

2 comments: